I want to open and operate an Employment Agency.
What do I need to do?
- You must publish a Notice in a National daily Irish Newspaper stating your intention to apply for a Licence (A full list of acceptable newspapers is provided on the Application Form)
- You must then complete an Application Form (downloadable below) - including the Vetting Invitation Form.
- Return the completed documentation to Employment Agency Licensing, Workplace Relations Commission, Department of Business, Enterprise & Innovation, O'Brien Road, Carlow, R93 E920
- Enclose the appropriate fee (currently €500)
You must also provide -
- 2 completed Independent Referee Forms
- A self-certified Statement that your premises meets the standards of accommodation prescribed by the Employment Agency Act and Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act.
- Proof that your Business Name has been registered with the Companies Registration Office (CRO). If your company is incorporated, you must also provide a copy of your Certificate of Incorporation
A copy of your ‘Statement of Fees’ – details of the fees you intend to charge to employers
Why do I need Garda vetting?
In order to hold an Employment Agency Licence a person must, in the opinion of the Minister, be a person of good character and repute. For this reason, the applicant must allow Garda vetting to take place, and must also provide two Independent References as to their character.
How long does it take to process an application?
From receipt of a new licence application it takes, on average, two weeks to issue a licence. Our turn-around time in processing applications is dependent on the length of time that elapses before we receive the necessary report from the Garda Vetting Unit, so some applicants may experience delays beyond the two week guideline. Turn-around for licence renewals are usually less than two weeks.
For how long is an employment agency licence valid?
The Licence is valid for one year from the date of issue. Applications for the renewal of a Licence should be submitted four weeks before the expiry date of the Licence.
Can an employment agency trade whilst waiting for a Licence to be considered?
No, an employment agency must wait until it is legally licensed before trading commences.