INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS ACTS, 1946 TO 1990
SECTION 26(1), INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS ACT, 1990
MONDELEZ IRELAND LTD
- AND -
SERVICES INDUSTRIAL PROFESSIONAL TECHNICAL UNION & UNITE THE UNION
Chairman: Mr Hayes
Employer Member: Ms Doyle
Worker Member: Mr Shanahan
1. Changes to medical insurance.
2. The case concerns the withdrawal of payment of medical insurance premiums for future retirees proposed by the Company.
The dispute could not be resolved at local level and was the subject of a Conciliation Conference under the auspices of the Labour Relations Commission. As agreement was not reached, the dispute was referred to the Labour Court on the 24th October, 2014, in accordance with Section 26(1) of the Industrial Relations Act, 1990. A Labour Court hearing took place on the 4th December, 2014.
3. 1. The benefit should be retained on a red circle basis at least. This will not be of significant cost to the Company due to the small number of current staff affected.
4. 1. The current scheme will continue up until the end of 2016. The Company reserves the right to offer an equivalent alternative plan as they see fit.
2. The benefits to retired employees is out of step with the Global Company policy, no other Company within the group pays PMI on behalf of retirees.
The Court notes that the all staff employed in the Company benefit in one form or another from the payment of PMI whilst at work and or in retirement. The Court further notes that the instant case affects a minority of the staff.
Without commenting on the merits of the respective positions of either side the Court recommends that changes to the scheme proposed by either side be processed simultaneously for all groups affected rather than on a piecemeal basis as at present.
The Court so recommends.
Signed on behalf of the Labour Court
30th December, 2014______________________
Enquiries concerning this Recommendation should be addressed to John Foley, Court Secretary.