INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS ACTS, 1946 TO 2001
SECTION 20(1), INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS ACT, 1969
AFL IRELAND LIMITED
(REPRESENTED BY THE IRISH BUSINESS AND EMPLOYERS' CONFEDERATION)
- AND -
AMALGAMATED ENGINEERING AND ELECTRICAL UNION
Chairman: Mr Duffy
Employer Member: Mr McHenry
Worker Member: Ms Ni Mhurchu
1. Closure severance terms in AFL Ireland Limited.
2. A Labour Court hearing concerning severance terms took place on the 18th of December, 2001. The following is the Court's recommendation.
Having considered the submissions of the parties, the Court recommends as follows:
1. The Company’s offer on ex-gratia redundancy payments, as outlined in the Company’s letter of 21st November, should be accepted on the understanding that no other group or category of employee will be offered in excess of this amount.
2. The Christmas bonus should be paid to all employees (including those due to leave on 21st December) at 3%, as in previous years.
3. The Company should provide each employee with details of their reckonable service by mid-day on 19th December.
4. The Company should clarify its position on the question of seniority.
5. The position of the two individual employees referred to in the Union’s submission, should be dealt with expeditiously through the appropriate procedures if necessary.
6. The Union should be facilitated by the Company in holding a general meeting of its members on the evening of 19th December. The Company’s offer, as clarified and as modified by this Recommendation, should be put to ballot and the result conveyed to the Company without delay.
Signed on behalf of the Labour Court
18th December, 2001______________________
Enquiries concerning this Recommendation should be addressed to Dympna Greene, Court Secretary.